Due to the high volume and complexity of its work, the United States Senate divides its tasks among committees, subcommittees, and joint committees.
The following titles can be checked for committee names, new committees, or changes of names in committees:
- 1789-1982: Congressional committees, 1789-1982 : a checklist compiled by Walter Stubbs. (1985)
- 1970-2000: CIS annual
- 2001 – 2011: CIS index annual
Current committees can be found online:
- House of Representatives Committees (includes Joint Committees)
- Senate Committees (includes Special, Select, Other and Joint Committees)
When you have identified a Committee title, use the Catalogue standard search to find documents published by that Committee. Example searches are:
- United States. Congress. Joint Economic Committee
- Congress of the U.S., Washington, DC. Senate Select Committee on Indian Affairs
- United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- United States. Congress. House. Select Committee on Communist Aggression
- Use ‘United States’ and ‘committee’ as part of your search, along with the Committee name
- When you have a list of results, select the ‘Author’ hyperlink to ensure you find all the documents from that Committee.
- Narrow your search by date in the right menu