What New South Wales gazettes can you find online?
The current New South Wales (NSW) Government Gazette is managed by the NSW Parliamentary Counsel's Office.
Copies of the gazette from February 2001 onwards are available through the NSW Legislation website.
Digitised copies of the NSW Government Gazette from 1832 to 2001 are available online through Trove's Government Gazette zone.
The historical gazette, the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, can also be read online at Trove. It covers dates from 1803 to 1842.
Where can you find New South Wales Government Gazettes in print?
Use the Australian Government Publications Guide, GovPubs, to help locate NSW gazettes in Australian libraries.
- Select the link which shows the date you need
- Select the link for the library you are using ('NLA' for the National Library of Australia)
- Use the 'Amicus Number' or call number from this record to find it in the Catalogue.
Older gazettes may be available on microfilm. For preservation reasons, access to microform copies is preferred to print unless absolutely necessary. You can view these in the Newspapers and Family History zone.
Railway employment records
My grandfather, Charles Ling, worked on the railways as a cook in about 1910, around Glenbrook NSW. Would there be any information about this?
Details of New South Wales Railway Employees are found in the Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales in triennial lists eg, 1909,1912, 1915, 1918. As we know an approximate date of your grandfather's employment on the railways, we can look up the employment lists in the gazette.
- Find the gazettes for 1901 to 1913 on microform in the National Library
- The index is on the same reel with the gazette; find the pages for Railways in the June 1909 lists
- Scan the lists to find his name, where he worked, type of job and wages.
We can also check the 1912 and 1915 gazettes for later entries showing Charles Ling.
Gazette pages can be saved or printed out using the microform readers and computers in the Newspapers and Family History zone.